MTN Uganda, is the leading telecommunications company in Uganda, providing payphones, fixed lines, fax/data, Internet and mobile services. The company is currently expanding and is seeking to recruit suitable, qualified persons for the following positions.
POST TITLE: Senior Engineer – Roaming & interconnect
- The position is in the network department and reports directly to the Principal Engineer – Roaming, Earth Station & Interconnect.
- The main purpose of the job is to set up roaming and interconnect services, traffic QoS monitoring and optimisation by traffic engineering and provide second level support in troubleshooting of network failures, as well as manage the foaming VAS solutions, earth station and roaming hub services, liaise with carriers, the SCCP provider, the SMS transit hub and the GPRS roaming exchange hub,
- Fraud monitoring, risk management and implementing preventive measures will also form part of the successful candidate’s duties.
Prime responsibilities of the position include:
- Perform international roaming tests (for prepaid, postpaid and GPRS services) and documentation according to GSMA recommendations,
- Set up new interconnects, perform interconnect C7 signaling, switching and billing tests for new partners,
- Load the roaming data on the network nodes and test the signaling functionality,
- Perform functional routine/ad hoc roaming and interconnect tests/duties as may be assigned from time to time,
- Co-ordinate the troubleshooting of network problems that affect the roaming and interconnect services,
- Update and maintain the interconnect databases and the roaming information on GSMA portal,
- Monitor interconnect traffic performance indicators continuously, like ASR, to ensure high quality of service and optimisation of the interconnects,
- Inform all relevant stakeholders about faults and complaints regarding roaming and interconnect,
- Perform network audits of the roaming and interconnect configurations,
- Support roaming value-added services, and liaise with equipment suppliers,
- Prepare documentation and management reports,
- Liaise with the capital projects department in connection with roaming and interconnect.
The candidates must possess the following:
- A Bachelors of Science Degree in Electrical/Telecommunications Engineering,
- At least 3 years’ experience in the telecoms industry,
- Knowledge of the telecommunications and IT industry; GSM 2G/GPRS/UMTS/ LTE,
- Data networks and IP troubleshooting skills,
- Understand signaling protocols plus SS7 over TDM and IP,
- Knowledge of roaming and interconnect services,
- Knowledge of satellite operation and maintenance,
- A valid driving licence and able to drive long distances.
OTHER SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
- Problem solving and analytical skills,
- Resilience and ability to work long hours,
- Strong individual, takes initiative, and is committed to quality and high performance.
SALARY/ REMUNERATION: USD/month
METHOD OF APPLICATION & APPLICATION DEADLINE:
Interested candidates should send their job applications with a detailed CV, certified copies of academic certificates (originals are to be presented at the interview) and names plus addresses of three referees addressed to:
The Recruitment Officer,
P.O. Box 24624,
Kampala, no later than Friday 27 January, 2012.
NOTE: Only successful candidates will be contacted.
MTN Uganda is an equal opportunity employer.